Tag: Harrisonburg Fire Department
About a half-dozen snows — plus some sleet and ice — this winter have maxed out Harrisonburg’s quarter-million-dollar budget for winter weather, including for snow plowing and road salt.
Volunteers harness ingenuity and 3-D printers to make 2,800 face shields for health workers and first responders
Donating 1,200 clear plastic face shields to Sentara Rockingham Memorial Hospital was already a big undertaking, but a local group of volunteers with access to 3-D printers has kept going — producing protective equipment to donate to organizations and first responders, including more than 250 face shields to the Harrisonburg Fire Department.
Inspired by one of the worst fires in this area in recent years, a veteran Harrisonburg firefighter has created a podcast aimed at clearing up some of the misconceptions about emergency services and allowing first responders tell their first-hand stories.
Although it was never his title or in his job description, Larry Shifflett was — and still is — a teacher with a heavy emphasis on local history. Shifflett headed the city’s fire department from 1983 to 2016, longer than any other city chief and, along the way, unintentially built a museum.
“This is an exercise,” Stephanie Harris told the crowd about to take part in a Monday morning training exercise with the Virginia Department of Emergency Management. Around her were about 160 volunteer “victims” of a simulated gas explosion at JMU’s Bridgeforth Stadium, along with dozens of rescue and security personnel that would be responding to the disaster.
After Southview fire, calls for changes to building code – and lingering resentment over a previous fire safety ordinance
The aftermath of the fire has triggered anew a disagreement between the City of Harrisonburg, state legislators and lobbyists for the apartment management industry over a city ordinance that was enacted in 2015 and, prompted several bills in the General Assembly and became the subject of a legal battle that lasted more than a year.
An improperly discarded cigarette on the deck of a first-floor apartment ignited the fire that engulfed the Southview Apartment building at 1083 Lois Lane on Thursday, according to the Harrisonburg Police Department’s investigation.